If You Smell Gas
You cannot smell natural gas in its natural state, so we add a chemical to help you detect its presence. This chemical, called mercaptan, has a strong odor very much like rotten eggs.
- If you smell even the faint odor of mercaptan or hear a hissing noise, notify others in person - not by phone - to leave the premises, and then leave.
- Do not turn appliances or lights on or off. Do not use the telephone. Electrical currents in switches and telephones may spark an explosion.
- After you leave the potentially affected area, call 1-800-959-LEAK (5325) to report a gas leak.
- Stay away from the building until an official familiar with the situation tells you it is safe to return.
- Once your gas has been shut off, do not try to turn it back on. Only a qualified person may perform this task.