Natural Gas Benefits
Natural gas can help you save money and energy so you can create your dream home with comfort and savings in mind. Below you’ll find just a few of the many benefits natural gas has to offer.
• Natural gas is inherently efficient approximately 90 percent of the gas produced is delivered to the customer as usable energy. In contrast, less than 30 percent of the energy converted to coal-fired electricity reaches the customer.
• Natural gas cooking ranges provide even heat and temperature control for better, more consistent meal results.
• 99 percent of the natural gas used in the United States comes from North America’s abundant supply, whereas oil and other petroleum products are largely imported from overseas.
• For residential customers, electricity costs approximately two and a half times more than natural gas for the same amount of energy; fuel costs approximately 24 percent more.
• Compared to the average air emissions from coal-fired generation, natural gas produces half as much carbon dioxide, less than a third as many nitrogen oxides, and one percent as many sulfur oxides at the power plant.
• Natural gas is always available even during a power outage.
• A natural gas cooking range costs approximately half as much to operate with versus an electric one.
Sources: American Gas Association, United States Environmental Protection Agency eGRID 2000 and the Council for Responsible Energy.