Austin, Texas – October 12, 2020 – With cold weather heading our won the horizon, Austinites can warm their pockets with money through Texas Gas Service's energy efficiency program by following some simple energy saving tips.
Qualifying residents can receive $675 for the purchase and installation of a new natural gas central furnace. Additionally, residents can also receive $40 to offset the cost of a furnace tune-up.
“Just like you have your car checked annually, it’s a good idea to have your furnace checked yearly to help you avoid costly issues,” said Christy Penders, PR Manager for Texas Gas Service.
Rebates are available to qualified residential Texas Gas Service customers in Austin, Bee Cave, Cedar Park, Cuero, Dripping Springs, Gonzales, Kyle, Lakeway, Lockhart, Luling, Nixon, Rollingwood, Shiner, Sunset Valley, West Lake Hills and Yoakum. For more information on rebates and program details, visit TexasGasService.com/rebates.
Winter Weather Tips
Here are some easy energy efficiency tips that can help conserve energy and save money on utility bills.
- Set the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees F or the “warm” setting, and if your home will be vacant for two days or more, set it to the pilot position for even more savings.
- Apply weather stripping and caulk to seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors to stop air leaks and prevent energy loss.
- Lower the temperature on your thermostat by 5 to 10 degrees if your house will be empty for four hours or longer. Each degree saves about 1% on your heating costs.
- Install inexpensive foam gaskets to seal electrical switches and outlets, which can account for up to 10% of your home’s energy loss.
- Change or clean the filters on your air conditioning and heating units, which can lower your energy consumption by 5% to 15%.
“It’s important to remember when temperatures drop, it can take more natural gas to heat your home and business, so energy conservation becomes very important,” said Penders.
Bill Averaging Reduces Bill Fluctuations
Customers can also reduce the fluctuation of their monthly natural gas bill and budget through the Average Bill Calculation Plan.
“This program reduces the volatility of seasonal energy expenses by spreading out the cost throughout the year based on a residence’s 12-month rolling bill average, which means customers will pay about the same amount each month, regardless of usage,” said Penders.
For more low-cost and no-cost energy saving tips, go to www.TexasGasService.com/SavingTips.
For B-roll footage of these energy-saving tips for use in news stories, visit this link.