November is Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness month, and we’ve partnered with the El Paso Fire Department to share some easy-to-remember CO safety tips in the brief video below.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
“Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas created by the incomplete or improper burning of fuel and can occur any time of year,” said Matt Carlquist, safety and health manager for Texas Gas Service.
Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?
It’s important to remember CO doesn’t just come from gas appliances. It can also come from vehicle exhaust and the improper use of generators, grills and space heaters.
5 Tips to Reduce Potential Carbon Monoxide Exposure
- Install and maintain a carbon monoxide detector, available at most retail and hardware stores.
- Pay attention to the color of the flame on your natural gas appliances – a yellow flame instead of a blue flame is a potential warning sign that the appliance is not operating or venting properly. If you see a yellow flame, turn off your burner and call us at 800-959-5325.
- Never use a natural gas range or outdoor space heater to heat your home.
- Check for proper ventilation of your appliances and chimney flues.
- Maintenance is key! Clean or replace your furnace filters regularly and have a qualified contractor inspect your heating equipment and natural gas appliances annually.
Potential Signs of Carbon Monoxide
- Yellow flame instead of a blue flame on appliance burners
- Black soot around vents, flues, furnace filters, burners or appliance access openings
- Headache, dizziness, ringing in the ears, fatigue, increased perspiration, nausea, weakness and vomiting
In some circumstances, carbon monoxide exposure can be deadly, so make sure to follow these tips. If you experience the symptoms mentioned above or suspect the presence of carbon monoxide, immediately leave the house or building, then call 911 to request medical assistance.
For more information on CO, visit TexasGasService.com/carbonmonoxide.