June marks the start of hurricane season and National Safety Month. Extreme weather events can leave us feeling frightened and uncertain about how to prepare or respond in the aftermath. And while there are general best practices, we're here to share safety tips that pertain to our expertise: your natural gas meter.
Before the Storm
- Remove objects that could be blown into or fall onto your meter.
- Don't turn off your meter, set anything on or attach anything to or cover your meter.
- Smell gas? Act fast! Leave the area immediately. Then call 911 and us at 800-959-5325.
- Hear hissing or smell gas? Leave the area immediately. Then call 911 and us at 800-959-5325.
- Call a qualified contractor if an appliance was underwater or you're concerned about house piping.
- Do not turn on the gas meter yourself. Call us at 800-700-2443.
- While cleaning up, call 811 to locate utility lines prior to digging on your property.
After the Storm
Want to let you Facebook followers know about these helpful hints? Click HERE to share our post.